Need for Speed: Carbon is a racing game and the tenth game in the Need for Speed franchise. It is a direct sequel to Need for Speed: Most Wanted and is the first Need for Speed to be released on all seventh generation consoles.
The game begins after the events of Most Wanted with the player on the road back into Palmont City after having left some time ago. While driving the player flashes back to the events that happened on the night the player left but the player's flashback is rudely interrupted by former Sergeant turned bounty hunter Cross, who rams the player's car and chases the player until he wrecks his BMW. Cross corners the player but before he can detain him, Darius, a former ally, shows up with his crew and your ex-girlfriend Nikki (Emanuelle Vaugier) and pays him off. Darius leaves Nikki to update the player on the current situation in Palmont City. The player is then tasked with regaining his lost reputation by winning races, acquiring territories and beating the bosses of the resident street racing crews (Kenji, Angie and Wolf). As the crews are defeated, various former members come forward and offer further details about the night the player left.
Once the player owns all three districts, Darius asks the player to meet him, where he reveals that he was just using the player to gain territory and leaves the player to be arrested. However, Nikki shows up to rescue the player and reveal the whole story behind the night the player left. It was actually Darius that framed the player by switching the bag containing the money and allowing the player to escape the police raid. Nikki finally agrees to team up with the player to take over Silverton and take down Darius and his Stacked Deck crew. Before the player can take on Darius in the Canyon, they must defeat the previous three bosses.
Once the player has defeated Darius, Darius hands the player the keys to his Audi Le Mans Quattro and agrees to leave Palmont City. He leaves the player a final warning - "Enjoy it while it lasts. There's always someone out there who's a little faster than you are. And sooner or later, they're going to catch up".
In Need for Speed: Carbon you race against rival street racing crews in a quest to conquer territories and districts. The player is in charge of its own crew and can hire specialists that can provide the player with much needed help both during and off races.
- Drift - Drift racing makes a return in Carbon, a mode that was made popular i n Need for Speed: Undergroundand Need for Speed: Underground 2 but was cut out of Carbon's predecessor Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
- Canyon Racing - This mode involves four different type of races, Canyon Duel, Canyon Race, Canyon Checkpoint and Canyon Drift.
- Checkpoint - Similar to the Toolboth races in Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
- Race wars
Carbon introduced a more robust car customization to the series and included a feature called "Autosculpt" where you could adjust sliders to different parts and they would morph freely from one size/design to another, allowing for seemingly unlimited control over exactly how you wanted something to look - getting away from a set list of defined choices in previous games.
Parts from real world manufacturers were also included and could in most cases be "sculpted" as well. The inclusion of an improved layers system called "vinyls" allowed the player to further customize the car with various shapes and characters, allowing some skilled players to make wildly complex designs using primitives as the building blocks - something that would become a major feature of later games in the genre.
- 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454
- 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT-8
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
- 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8
- 2006 Ford Mustang GT
- 1969 Plymouth Road Runner
- 2006 Pontiac GTO
- 2005 Vauxhall Monaro VXR
- 2006 Chevrolet Camaro Concept
- 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
- 2008 Dodge Challenger
- 2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10
- 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
- 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
- 1970 Plymouth Barracuda
- 2005 Ford GT
- 2004 Lexus IS300
- 2007 Mazda 3 MPS
- 2003 Mazda RX-8
- 1992 Nissan 240 SX
- 1999 Mazda RX-7
- 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
- 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
- 2005 Renault Clio V6
- 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86)
- 1992 Toyota MR2
- 2006 Volkswagen Golf R32
- 2004 Infiniti G35
- 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX MR
- 2006 Nissan 350Z
- 1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R
- 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
- 1999 Toyota Supra
- 2006 Alfa Romeo Brera
- 2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK500
- 2004 Aston Martin DB9
- 2007 Jaguar XK
- 2004 Lotus Elise 111R
- 2006 Lotus Europa S
- 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG
- 2006 Porsche Cayman S
- 2007 Audi R8/LeMans Quattro
- 2003 BMW M3 GTR
- 2006 Koenigsegg CCX
- 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo
- 2004 Lamborghini Murciélago
- 2006 Lamborghini Murciélago LP640
- 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
- 2006 Pagani Zonda F
- 2006 Porsche 911 GT3 RS
- 2006 Porsche 911 Turbo S
- 2004 Porsche Carrera GT
- 2005 Ford GT
The game is set in the fictional city of Palmont and in 3 canyons that surround the city, East, West and Carbon. The city is divied into 4 main parts. These are Fortura, Downtown, Silverton and Kempton.
The PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game features an online racing mode that can only be seen in these versions, named "Be the Cop".
The Wii version lacks online play but makes use of the innovative motion controls of the Wii Remote.
- Dynamite MC - After Party
- Eagles Of Death Metal - Don’t Speak (I Came to Make A Bang!)
- Ekstrak feat. Know-1 - Hard Drivers
- Every Move A Picture - Signs Of Life
- Gary Numan/Tubeway Army - Are ‘Friends’ Electric
- Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five - Scorpio
- Goldfrapp Ride A White Horse (Serge Santiago Remix)-
- Kyuss - Hurricane
- Lady Sovereign - Luv Me Or Hate Me
- Ladytron - Sugar (Jagz Kooner Remix)
- Ladytron - Fighting In Built Up Areas
- melody. - FEEL THE RUSH (Junkie XL Remix)
- Metro Riots - Thee Small Faces
- Part 2 feat. Fallacy - One Of Dem Days (Remix)
- Pharrell feat. Lauren - Skateboard P Presents: Show You How To Hustle
- Priestess - I Am The Night, Colour Me Black
- Roots Manuva - No Love
- Spank Rock - What It Look Like
- Sway - Hype Boys
- The Bronx - Around The Horn
- The Presets - Steamworks
- The Vacation - I’m No Good
- Tiga - Good As Gold
- Tigarah - Girl Fight (Mr. D Hyphy Mix)
- Tomas Andersson - Washing Up (Tiga Remix)
- Valient Thorr - Heatseeker
- Vitalic - My Friend Dario
- Wolfmother - Joker And The Thief
- Yonderboi - People Always Talk About The Weather (Junkie XL Remix)